Monday, November 17, 2008

Gamer Theory

When I first started reading Gamer Theory last week I think the main reason why I didn't like its style was because I was not expecting it and because I didn't know how to get the information out of it. The more I read the more I like the book because it is different and because I haven't read a book in this format before. I also like the book because it leaves a lot of room for discussion and other interpretations of the text. There was a great deal of this last class, and I think these discussions will continue tomorrow but I think everyone will have a better understanding of how to deal with the style this book is written in.

Just a quick side note, I know we had labeled Merel's crazy flying images presentation on the second teaching day as "useless," but I couldn't help but notice how many times her "useless" topic has been brought up in class discussions. There have been at least three or four times when I have heard someone use her example and I think it is great I would not be suprised to hear it used again tomorrow.

2 comments:

Becky, Sam, Merel, James, Adrienne, Asa said...

In the beginning, I also had and still have a real hard time understanding Gamer Theory. I do not understand the writing style and like we spoke about a few classes ago, the book as a game. I rather Wark just tell me what he is talking about, stop playing games.

I agree with you that the book opens up any environment for discussion. There are many topics that need answers or need to be talked about.

I am still having some trouble reading this book and understand some concepts. I have been going through everyone's posts and learning slowly, which is good.

Sam

JColburn1 said...

I agree with you Sam. Reading other posts has helped me get a greater insight into the material presented by Gamer Theory. I too have struggled with this material and style of writing, but I do enjoy the discussions it has generated.