Monday, September 22, 2008

9/18 response

Thursday's class was very interesting because I think it brought many points to the table, both good and bad. However there was one point that I think was a little over the board was the point that because the "universe is public." I think that is absolutely ridiculous because if you say the universe is public (therefore someone can have records of what you have done online) would be like saying it is ok for you to walk into a strangers house, sit down, and when they come over to you to ask you why you are in their house, you respond by saying the universe is public so its ok.

I think when it comes down to it, I don't mind if someone is watching what I do online, but I can definately see why this would create controversy. I agree with JD when he says the government and FBI etc. should watch what we do online. If we are doing something suspicous like looking up how to make a bomb online, or something that could be related to terrorist activity, then I hope they watch that person. Again, when I heard the story about the FBI agents coming to HWS to see about the students looking up how to make boms, I was glad to hear about that, that made me feel much safer because it helped me realize that there really are people out there looking out for our safety.

No comments: