Monday, September 8, 2008

Assignment 2

Do you feel that the technologies you use configure you or make you who you are? Why are why not? Don't forget that books, pencils, and words are technologies that we often take for granted. Be sure as well to consider writing and the differences between writing and hearing (literate and oral cultures). How are digitally mediated interactions like a new kind of orality (secondary orality)?



I absolutely believe the technologies I use make me who I am. I have been taking art classes and computer related art classes for a while now and I definitely think that is why I am interested in fields such as advertising, marketing, graphic design, and architecture. Music has also helped me with projects I have done and am currently working on because it helps me be more creative.

A great example of the differences between writing and hearing for me came this summer when a friend and I were working on a project to design a logo for a video game. The creators had already come up with the name, Crescendo, and it was our job to come up with its logo. The more and more logos I created led me to notice that there were more or less two groups of logos, one based on the look and spelling of the word, and the other based on its sound. The hardest part of this project has been trying to combine the two groups to create the logo that best fits the game and that will meet the creators expectations. In designing the logo's, there are many ways to show the same logo because electronic text is so easy to manipulate as mentioned in From Pencils to Pixels by Baron.

I agree with Carlo Scanella as mentioned on the blog titled Inward and Onward when they say,

"In particular, the group or community-based blog encourages a “return of the oral,” as the words typed into a blog are not closed, not final, but open-ended, as is a conversation. They’re specifically written with the expectation of a response, inside the blog’s “comments” sections. The “interior conscious” that print encourages is now, on the blog, an exterior consciousness, captured within a database."

because not only are blogs an example of a "secondary orality" but so are things like talking through AIM, or text messages.

No comments: